It’s Friday! Here are my 5 favorite fall foods. Just because.
1. homemade apple pie, made from freshly picked Harlson apples and all the cinnamon you can find in a 5-mile radius…
…and made-from-scratch pie crust, mostly because I have an affinity for eating raw pie dough. It’s a strange disorder I inherited.
And now I’m gladly passing it along to my children.
We save enough dough to make the actual pie. Usually.
Mmmmm. Can you smell the cinnamon?
2. Honeycrisp apples — so sweet, so juicy, so uniquely Minnesotan!
3. Candy corn — and those cute little candy pumpkins. Yum!
4. Chex Mix — salty, crunchy, and nearly as addictive as candy corn!
5. “Simply Apple” apple juice — a new discovery this year. I don’t even like regular apple juice, but this is more like cider — only pasteurized. It is so delicious!
Here’s the recipe I use for made-from-scratch pie crust, which rolls out wonderfully when sandwiched between two sheets of generously floured wax paper, and it makes a deliciously flaky crust for nearly any pie.
2 cups flour
2/3 cup shortening
1 tsp. salt
5-6 tablespoons ice water
Combine dry ingredients and use pastry cutter to mix. Add water and use fork to blend. Makes shell and top.